Use up your canned or frozen peaches this spring with these delicious recipes.
Peaches, like any fresh fruit, are most delightful when they’ve been plucked, sun-warmed, straight from the tree at peak ripeness. And if you can’t wait for that July-August harvest, canned or frozen will work just fine. There’s nothing you can’t do with peaches. Confect a jam or glaze a steak; sweet or savory, these recipes will make sure your pecks and pints don’t go to waste.
Peach Caprese Salad with Lime Vinaigrette
- 1 lime juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 24- ounce balls fresh mozzarella chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 4 ripe peaches washed and cut into 8 wedges
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
TO MAKE DRESSING:
- Combine lime juice, zest, champagne or vinegar, water, honey, and salt. Slowly wisk in olive oil and set aside.
TO MAKE SALAD:
- Gently toss cheese, peaches, and basil leaves and cover with dressing.
Peach Glaze for Steaks
- 1/4 cup peach preserves
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons rosemary minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ancho chili pepper ground
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and pour over steak. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until the glaze is heated through.
Baked Peach Pudding
- 2 cups peaches skins removed, sliced (drain syrup, if canned)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- Place peaches in 9×12 inch pan. Combine butter, 3/4 cup sugar, milk, baking powder, and flour. Pour over peaches. Mix remaining sugar with cornstarch and salt. Sift this mixture over batter. Pour water over all.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes or until crust is slightly golden. Serve with ice cream.
Peach and Mango Pico de Gallo
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1/2 jalapeno cored seed, and finely diced
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cilantro if desired
- 1 cup mango cubed into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 cup peaches cubed into 1/4 pieces
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper diced
- zest of lime for color
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Serve immediately with chips.
Peach Rosemary Jam
- 4 cups fresh peaches peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind grated
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons rosemary finely chopped
- 1 1.75 ounce package powdered fruit pectin
- 5 cups sugar
- Bring the first five ingredients to a full rolling boil in a Dutch oven. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add sugar to peach mixture and bring to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and skim off foam with a metal spoon.
- Immediately pour hot mixture into hot sterilized jars, filling the jars 3/4 full. Remove air bubbles and clean jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids and screw-on bands.
- Process jam in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.