This crumbly treat gets its name for the streusel-like topping that creates its signature look.
- 1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 cups blueberries
- whipped cream for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Butter an 8-inch square glass baking dish. In a medium bowl, combine ⅓ cup flour, ½ cup sugar, and cinnamon. Using your fingers, rub in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining 1 cup of flour with baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat remaining ½ cup of sugar with shortening. Beat in the egg. Beat in flour mixture in two batches, alternating with milk.
- Spread batter in the prepared baking dish. Scatter blueberries over the batter. Sprinkle with cinnamon crumble topping and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, with whipped cream if desired.
Please follow and like us: