Have more tomatoes than you know what to do with? Make this.
Tomato Cheddar Pie
- Medium mixing bowl
- Pastry blender (optional)
- Baking sheet
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 6 tbsp chilled unsalted butter cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 lbs large ripe heirloom tomatoes cored, seeds removed, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 1/2 cups extra-sharp cheddar grated
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 tsp cornmeal for sprinkling over crust
- Crispy bacon for serving, optional
- To make crust: Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl. Using your fingertips, rub in butter or use a pastry blender until coarse meal forms and some small lumps remain. Stir in buttermilk and knead gently with your hands until dough forms, adding fl our if needed. Dough will remain sticky. Dust lightly with fl our, wrap in plastic, and chill for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, lay tomato slices in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with two layers of paper towels. Place another two layers of paper towels on top of tomatoes. Let stand for 30 minutes to drain.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Roll out dough between two sheets of parchment or wax paper to an 11-inch round. Remove top layer of parchment and invert dough onto a 9-inch pie dish, carefully peeling off remaining parchment.
- Toss the cheddar and Parmesan together in a medium bowl and reserve ¼ cup. Whisk cream cheese, mayonnaise, onion, basil,vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle cornmeal evenly over bottom of crust. Top with about½ cup cheese mixture, arrange ⅓ of tomatoes over cheese,overlapping as needed, then spread half of the cream cheese mixture over the tomatoes. Repeat, layering with 1 cup of cheese mixture,½ of the remaining tomato slices, and remaining cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese mixture over, then remaining tomato slices. Sprinkle with reserved ¼ cup cheese mixture. Fold overhanging crust up and over edges of tomato slices or trim off the edges for a traditional pie.
- Bake about 35 to 40 minutes, until crust is golden. Tent with foil halfway through if crust gets too dark. Let pie cool 1 to 2 hours before slicing. Serve with a slice of bacon.