We know you’ll love these apple recipes…to the core.
No need to look far for delicious ingredients in the Mountain State. In fact, the Appalachian region is a biodiversity hotspot, and a staggering variety of edibles grow right in our backyards. Enjoy these recipes inspired by a few of our favorite homegrown ingredients.
Roasted Apples and Fennel
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 2 Golden Delicious apples cut into wedges
- 1 fennel bulb cut into wedges, reserving fronds
- 6 small shallots halved
- 1 teaspoon thyme chopped
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425 ̊.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large ovenproof skillet.
- Add apples, fennel, and shallots and cook until golden, 2–3 minutes.
- Stir in thyme, allspice, salt, and pepper.
- Roast, tossing once, until tender for 15 minutes.
- Add 1 more tablespoon butter and cider vinegar; toss until glazed, for 1 minute.
- Top with fennel fronds.
Golden Delicious Apple Dumplings
- 4 Golden Delicious apples peeled and cored
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 ⁄4 cup butter
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 packages prepared pie dough thawed
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Place a sheet of dough on a floured surface. Use a bowl (larger than the apple) and a knife to cut two circles from each sheet.
- May need to cut one circle, then gather and roll out excess dough to make a second circle. Repeat with the remaining sheet.
- Place an apple in the center of each piece of dough.
- Fold the dough around the apple and press it together to form a ball.
- Spray a 9×13-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Place dumplings in prepared pan.
- Make the sauce: In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine brown sugar, water, butter, and cinnamon.
- Heat just to boiling, stirring often.
- Pour mixture over dumplings.
- Bake 30–40 minutes or until apples are soft and dough is golden brown.
- Baste dumplings with the syrup several times during baking.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Easy Apple Crisp
- 6 Golden Delicious apples peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 13 ⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon divided
- 11 ⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 ⁄4 cup old fashioned oats
- 3 ⁄4 cup all-purpose fl our
- 1 ⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter diced into small cubes
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter an 8×8-inch baking dish or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add chopped apples, granulated sugar, 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon, and lemon juice.
- Stir to combine, then transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add topping ingredients (brown sugar, oats, fl our, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, salt, and diced butter).
- Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the oat mixture, using a slight downward twisting motion, until the mixture resembles pea-sized crumbs. Or you can use two forks or your hands to cut butter into the mixture.
- Spread topping over apples in baking dish and gently pat to even out.
- Bake 40–50 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve warm.
Leave a Reply