- 2 large egg whites
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 lbs. ricotta cheese
- 1 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest, optional
- ⅓ cup semi-sweet chocolate mini chips
- confectioner’s sugar, for dusting cannoli
- chocolate syrup for drizzling, optional
- mini chocolate chips or pistachios, crushed for dipping, optional
Preparing the shells
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Lightly grease two baking sheets with baking spray; set aside.
3. In a medium-size bowl, thoroughly whisk together egg whites, sugar, oil, butter, and vanilla until combined.
4. Add flour and continue to whisk until smooth.
5. Spoon 4 to 5 mounds of batter onto each baking sheet. Use 2 teaspoons of batter for each mound.
6. Use the back of the spoon to spread each cookie into a 4-inch wide circle.
7. Space cookies at least 2 inches apart.
8. Bake 7-8 minutes or until edges begin to turn golden brown.
9. Using a thin spatula, loosen cookies from baking shape into tubes. Use a thick-handled wooden spoon or cannoli tube to wrap dough around. Overlap ends and press gently. Caution: cookies will be hot.
10. Set cookies seam-side down to cool.
Preparing the filling
1. In a medium-size bowl, whip ricotta with hand mixer until smooth and light. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and orange zest. Fold in chocolate. After filling shells with pastry bag, dip ends of cannoli into crushed pistachios. Fill only just before ready to serve. Drizzle with chocolate syrup, if desired.
2. Dust finished cannoli with confectioner’s sugar. Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply