Blueberry Hand Pies
- 4 ready-made refridgerated pie crusts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp water
- sanding sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon. In a large bowl, gently mix blueberries with lemon juice to coat. Sprinkle sugar mixture over blueberries and gently mix until blueberries are completely coated.
- Combine egg yolk and water to create egg wash.
- Using a small 4-to-5 inch bowl as a template and a sharp knife, cut 3 or 4 circles out of each prepared pie crust. Leftover pieces can be used to form complete circles if necessary. Place dough circles on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Fill the center of pie crusts with 1-2 tablespoons of blueberry mixture. Brush edges with egg wash. Fold crust in half and seal edges by pressing the back of a fork down on top edge of dough.
- Chill hand pies for 30 minutes in the refrigerator before baking. Remove from refrigerator and brush top sides with remaining egg wash. Sprinkle tops with sanding sugar. Cut a small slit in the tops of the hand pies to let steam escape during baking.
- Bake 20 minutes or until pies have turned golden brown and are flaky.
- Let pies cool for 5 minutes before serving.