Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Cream Cheese Filling
- Cookie sheets
- Medium-sized mixing bowl
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1 15 oz. can pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For making the cake
- Preheat oven to 350° and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, combine cake mix, pumpkin, and oil and beat until smooth.
- Scoop out dough balls, about 1 tablespoon each, onto parchment paper and bake until the tops of the cookies spring back when pressed with a finger, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.
For making the filling and assembling the pies
- In medium bowl, beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add confectioners’ sugar slowly, beating to combine until well blended.
- Add vanilla extract and blend until mixture is smooth and spreads easily.
- Spread or pipe filling onto flat bottoms of half the cookies. Use unfrosted half to make the tops of the cookie sandwiches.
- Chill cookies until ready to serve.