Cotton Candy Cupcakes
- Standard muffin pan
- Electric mixer
- Medium-sized mixing bowl
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1 2/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
For buttercream icing
- 4 sticks unsalted butter softened
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 package store-bought cotton candy
- red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Line a standard muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter until fluffy. Add sugar and continue to cream. Add vanilla. Add eggs one at a time and incorporate well.
- In a medium bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Alternate adding dry ingredients and milk in batches to the mixture.
- Spoon batter into each cup, filling about ¾ full. Bake 20–25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before topping or frosting.
- Using a double boiler, combine egg whites and sugar, whisking until sugar is completely dissolved, about 3 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, beat on high until mixture is completely cool, about 15 minutes.
- Add butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, until completely incorporated.
- Add vanilla and 2 drops of red food coloring to achieve pink color.
- Before serving, add pinches of packaged cotton candy, about a handful total.
- Frost cupcakes traditionally or scoop frosting into a zip-top plastic bag and squeeze into the bottom. Snip off the corner with scissors, pipe in a swirling motion onto cupcake. Top with a pinch of cotton candy.