As temperatures rise, cool off in one of these six lakes in West Virginia.
- Being West Virginia’s largest reservoir, Summersville Lake is the premier spot to cool off on a hot summer day. With 60 miles of shoreline, the options are endless.
- Audra State Park in Barbour Co. is Mother Nature’s swimming pool and a West Virginia
- Tygart Lake is a quiet, relaxing destination located right outside of Grafton, WV. The natural beach and 10-mile wide lake provide some of the most wild and wonderful views in the state.
- Just minutes from I-79, Stonewall Jackson Lake at Stonewall Resort State Park is a perfect summer getaway with a plethora of lodging, rentals, restaurants, and activity options.
- Bluestone Lake, near Hinton, is the state’s third largest body of water. Spend a weekend in serenity camping by the lake and enjoying the view. To rent a boat or kayak, visit
- Cheat Lake in Morgantown, WV. Enjoy a hike on the 4-mile Cheat Lake Trail, then cool off with a swim! If hiking isn’t your thing, pack a picnic and hang out on the new beach at Cheat Lake Park.
written by Nicole Wills
photographed by Nikki Bowman