Five scenic and exciting adventures in eastern West Virginia.
If you’re into historical, scenic, or relaxing adventures—or all three—then the eastern part of the Mountain State is a perfect destination. It’s peppered with deep historical roots and raw beauty. We especially love these places:
1. Board the train in Romney for a true West Virginia experience on one of the Potomac Eagle’s scenic excursions. The South Branch Valley Railroad offers trips of all kinds—like the Through Trip, the Sunset Through Trip, and the All-Day Trip to Petersburg. Each of these excursions provides passengers with beautiful scenery and offers a different destination, trip length, and meal.
2. Explore the Ice Mountain Preserve near North River Mills. This preserve protects a group of arctic plants and flowers that are usually found much farther north, sustained by dozens of small holes that emit cool air from the base of the talus slope. Check out the refrigeration effect and the boreal plants at Ice Mountain by going on a guided tour.
3. The whole family can find their favorite summer activities in one place at Snowshoe Mountain Resort. Take a lift ride up to Shavers Lake where you can canoe, kayak, swim, and fish—relax by the Split Rock Pools while the kids slip, slide, and splash—or tear it up at the bike park. Something for everyone.
4. Float down the Potomac. River Riders offers an array of river adventures, like whitewater rafting, tubing, kayaking, canoeing, and much more on this historic waterway. Scenic adventures await everyone, especially with the Potomac Play Pass.
5. Jump on the Appalachian Trail in Harpers Ferry and experience one of the most scenic trails in the country. The Appalachian Trail offers terrific day hikes on one of the world’s most famous footpaths.
posted on June 26, 2020