recipe courtesy of Barn With Inn
There is no better place to have the most important meal of the day than a bed and breakfast. I mean, it’s right there in the name.
Start your day the homemade way with this recipe from Barn With Inn in Wellsburg. It’s not as good as being there, of course, but it will have to do until you book your reservation.
Barn With Inn
Rise with the roosters—and goats and dogs—at Harry Sanford and Chatman Neely’s Barn With Inn, located at Highland Springs Farm. Watch the sunrise while eating on the breakfast porch. Tuck in for the night at the main house’s guest bedroom, or hit the hay with either of the barn’s two homey suites. For townies, the sister operation Sarah Miller House in downtown Wellsburg, also boasts comfortable accommodations.
Chatman’s Sugar-Cream Berry Pie
- Medium mixing bowl
- Pie pan
- 1 9-inch pie crust homemade or store bought
- 1/2 cup maple or brown sugar plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg large, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sorghum
- dash vanilla extract
- blueberries, raspberries, peaches—orwhat is in season
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix all dry ingredients togetherwith a whisk. Add the cream,buttermilk, egg, sorghum, and vanilla, and stir until mixed. Do notover-mix.
- Carefully fold berries into batteruntil evenly distributed.
- Pour batter into pie crust. Sprinkleextra brown sugar over top of batter.Bake about one hour.
- Let cool for at least one hour beforeserving. Top with fresh whippedcream or vanilla yogurt and sprinklewith berries.